Friday, February 13, 2009

Only One Thought Away



Questioner:  "But my mind is so busy and for this reason I need spiritual practices and meditation to be enlightened."

Response:  "Good news!  You are only one thought away from what you seek!"  

Questioner:  "And what is that thought?" (with excitement)

Response:  The thought,  "I am not enlightened yet."   

This thought opens up a Pandora's Box of associated thoughts which aim to validate this ultimate statement of lack, not the least of which is the thought, "I am a seeker."   

There is a central I-thought which holds together a constellation of thoughts which thus seem to be the form of an individual who has history (memory thoughts) and beliefs (conceptual thoughts).  Obviously, then, there is no I as ego except as an expanded concept held in place by giving importance to the central position of the I-thought, a position which in itself is also conceptual! 

In order to grasp fully this insidious mental grip of the ego, it is helpful for the so-called seeker to become attentive to his mischief making beliefs!  Self-inquiry is useful: ask, "To whom does this thought arise?" And when the answer comes, "Well, to me of course," ask "Who am I? Who am I really?"

Inquiring into the validity of the central I-thought reveals that it in fact does not actually exist except as a belief.   

Spiritual practices only serve to reinforce the belief in a seeker on a progressive path leading to (a belief in) enlightenment.  

"Liberation is never of the person,  it is always from the person," says Nisargadatta Maharaj.


No comments:

Post a Comment